A quick tamarind dipping sauce, made from our sweet and tangy Pad Thai Sauce and crushed peanuts, is a perfect match for these fresh and healthy rice paper rolls.
Basil Garlic Filling
160g shiitake mushrooms, cubed
*250g pork mince
*For vegan version, substitute pork with:
1 pc firm tofu (tau kwa), cut into 1cm cubes
Rice Paper Roll Ingredients
Vietnamese rice paper wrappers
20g Dry (or 50g fresh) rice vermicelli
½ Carrot, julienned
½ Telegraph cucumber, julienned
Fresh mint leaves
Fresh Thai sweet basil leaves
Chinese chives (optional)
Mekhala Pad Thai Sauce
1. Stir fry all the ingredients for the Basil Garlic filling together over medium heat until cooked, then set the mixture aside.
2. If using dry vermicelli, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet, then rinse with cold water and drain.
3. Fill a large bowl with lukewarm water. Dip one rice paper wrapper, then carefully place it onto a clean work surface or plate.
4. Line the ingredients (rice vermicelli, carrot, cucumber, basil, mint, lettuce and 1-2 tablespoons of the Basil Garlic filling) across the wrapper, starting from the edge closest to you. Ensure you leave room on the sides to fold in when rolling.
5. Starting from the edge closest to you, line the ingredients (vermicelli, vegetables, herbs and 1-2 tbsp of the Basil Garlic filling) across the sheet and wrap the rice paper roll. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
6. To prepare the dipping sauce, pour Pad Thai Sauce into a sauce dish and top with crushed peanuts. Serve rolls with dipping sauce.