1kg russet potatoes - grated to shreds into bowl of cold water
1 large brown or white onion - grated to a mush (or ground in food processor)
80g potato starch
Ground black pepper, to taste
Mekhala Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste (optional)
Rice bran oil for frying
1. Drain the grated potato, then place potato shreds and grated onion in a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze firmly, getting rid of as much liquid as possible.
2. Transfer the potato-onion mixture to a large bowl, then mix in the potato starch, Mekhala Sesame Garlic Dressing and seasoning.
3. In a large frypan, heat 0.5-1cm of oil. Scoop up 3 tbsp of mixture per latke, shaping them into compacted discs.
4. Fry latkes in small-enough batches so that there's ample space for each latke in the pan, cooking them for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden-brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to allow excess oil to drain.
5. Serve immediately with condiment(s) of choice.