Sick of stodgy Christmas stuffing? We've got the answer! Our version uses 3 types of Mekhala Organic Rice, mixed with mushrooms, cranberries, nuts and bacon for amazing flavour, texture and colour. Serve with our Sage Butter Roast Turkey.
¾ Cup Mekhala Organic Black Rice, rinsed
¾ Cup Mekhala Organic Brown Rice, rinsed
¾ Cup Mekhala Organic Ruby Rice, rinsed
1.4 Litres Vegetable or chicken stock
2 Tbsp butter, plus a little extra
6 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Large onion, finely sliced
2 Celery sticks, sliced
12 Bacon rashers, diced
200g Chestnut or Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
100g Dried cranberries
80g Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 Sprig rosemary, chopped
2 Handfuls parsley, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook rice in a cooker or pot, substituting the stock for water.
2. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 190°C.
3. Place a large frypan on medium-high heat. Add the butter and bacon and fry until the bacon’s fat has nicely rendered out (about 5 minutes).
4. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the onions and celery and sweat them for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and stir for another 5 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, then mix in rosemary, cranberries and walnuts and season with pepper.
6. Fold in cooked rice and stir until all the ingredients have been mixed well. Spoon the rice stuffing mixture into a greased ovenproof dish, dot with a little extra butter and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the dish and serve.