Impress your family & friends with this gorgeous dish that is best enjoyed shared! Mekhala's range of organic rice and rice blends is perfect for making Paella, which is best made using short-grain rice. The sesame seeds, mung beans and 3 different types of rice (red, brown and black) in our Energy Rice add a beautiful colour and extra texture to our take on this classic!
(Serves 4 people)
2.5 Cups Mekhala Organic Energy Rice, rinsed
500ml Chicken or vegetable stock
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 Medium onion, diced
3 Chicken legs & 3 Chicken thighs
2 Chorizo, sliced
1 Squid, cleaned & sliced (optional)
1/2 Cup frozen peas
1/2 Cup red or yellow capsicum, diced
3 Tbsp store-bought paella spice mix
1 Lemon, quartered
Small handful of parsley, chopped
1. Add olive oil to a 12-inch paella pan or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
2. Pan-fry chicken pieces skin-side down for 1 minute, then turn over and fry for another 1 minute. Repeat until all sides are brown. Remove chicken pieces from pan, leaving oil behind.
3. Add chorizo, onions & garlic to the pan and fry until brown (about 1 minute). Add the Mekhala Organic Energy Rice & paella spice mix to pan and fry to coat well.
4. Carefully pour stock in, sprinkle peas & capsicum over, then carefully place chicken pieces skin-side down, spacing them out, in the pan. Bring to a simmer then turn heat down to medium-low. Do NOT stir, or rice may become gloopy.
5. When liquid is almost dried up, turn the chicken pieces skin-side up (skin should be slightly charred), arrange squid evenly on top of the rice, then add the water.
6. Continue simmering until liquid dries up (about 1hr - 1 1/4 hrs). Rice should be cooked al dente and, ideally, slightly charred on the bottom.
7. Sprinkle parsley over and serve with lemon wedges.