This is a healthier version of Khao Soi (Burmese/Northern Thailand Curry Noodle). Mekhala’s all natural Yellow Curry Paste is the main source of flavour. Use low fat coconut milk because the curry should be more of a broth, and leave out the traditional deep fried noodle topping in the name of heart disease! Do not omit the limes and pickled mustard – they really balance out the richness of the broth and add sharpness to the dish.
1 Heaped Tbsp Mekhala Yellow Curry Paste
400ml Low-fat coconut milk
1 Large Chicken breast, sliced
1 Stalk Green onion, sliced
500gm Fresh rice noodle
2 Large limes, cut into quarters
2 Eggs (Optional)
1 Jar Chinese pickled mustard*, sliced
*Available at most local supermarkets
1. Boil the eggs, peel and cut in halves.
2. Heat a wok or pot and add the Yellow Curry Paste.
3. Add coconut milk and chicken, and simmer for 10 min over a medium-low heat, adding water as necessary to thin out the curry
4. Meanwhile, distribute noodles into 4 bowls
5. Ladle curry broth and chicken into each bowl, top with spring onions and ½ egg
6. Serve with sliced pickled mustard and limes on the side.